Here are some surprising facts and statistics related to seniors and falls. Falls are the leading cause of injury among older Canadians. 20-30% of seniors experience one or more falls each year. Falls are the cause of 85% of seniors’ injury-related hospitalizations. Falls are the cause of 95% of all hip-fractures. 50% of all falls causing hospitalization happen at home.
Here are some helpful tips to help you take action and be safe around your home:
- Ensure that you have non-slip surfaces in the tub and shower.
- Install grab bars by the toilet and bath to help you sit and stand. Make sure they are well anchored.
- Use a raised toilet seat, and a bath seat in the shower, if you need them.
- Wipe up moisture and spills immediately.
Living Room & Bedroom
- Reduce clutter!
- Get rid of loose wires and cords as well as any other obstacles.
- Consider using a cordless phone to avoid rushing to answer.
- Have good lighting throughout the house and install night lights.
- Make sure the path is clear between the bedroom and bathroom.
- Throw rugs and mats are tripping hazards. Remove of them or make sure they are non-slip.
- Move slowly out of your bed or chair. Getting up suddenly can make you dizzy.
- Store kitchen supplies and pots and pans in easy-to-reach locations.
- Store heavy items in lower cupboards.
- Use a stable step stool with a safety rail for reaching high places.
- Wipe up all spills immediately to prevent slipping.
- If you use floor wax, use the non-skid variety.
- Ask for help with tasks that you feel you can’t do safely.
- Make sure your stairs are well lit.
- Have solid handrails on both sides of the stairway.
- Remove your reading glasses when you go up or down the stairs.
- Never rush up or down the stairs. It’s a major cause of falls!
- Keep front steps and walkway in good repair and free of snow, ice and leaves.
- Keep front entrance well lit.
- Put gardening implements such as hoses and rakes away when not using them
The bad new is as we age, our risk of falling becomes greater. The good news is that most falls can be prevented. You can prevent falls around the home by making these simple adjustments to your home. Please be safe!